Dr Kris Hyde is one of the UK’s leading experts in Hydrogen Engineering. He spent 14 years working at ITM Power PLC, Europe’s largest electrolyser manufacturer. Here he performed a range of roles including:
- Leading the fundamental R&D into the company’s fuel cells and electrolyser cells
- Working within the engineering team designing the wider balance of plant and conducting (and usually leading) the products safety studies
- Successfully applying for many grants from the UK Government, Scottish Government and the EU
- Writing many successful tenders to win contracts for the supply of electrolysers, and complete hydrogen systems including compression, storage, and end applications. This usually required sophisticated modelling of the complete system to ensure parts were specified correctly.
- Managed a variety of projects including techno-economic feasibility studies and practical projects putting equipment on the ground
- Attending many PR events presenting to various industrial sectors, that were often not familiar with hydrogen
This has provided Kris with a complete understanding of hydrogen technologies from the fundamental electro-chemistry, the engineering of the balance of plant, to the wider hydrogen systems including storage, compression and end uses.
Kris now offers consultancy services on hydrogen technology and engineering, including:
- Advice on the hydrogen market: Trends, opinions on leading companies and their products and plans
- Independent advice on the best method of approaching designs for hydrogen systems and expected budgets.
- The writing of requests for tenders, so companies wishing to purchase hydrogen equipment ask those tendering to supply answers to the most pertinent questions
- The complete design of hydrogen systems including modelling to determine equipment throughputs and capacities. This is particularly important for hydrogen refuelling stations to ensure adequate capacity.
- Techno-economic modelling to provide business cases
- This advice is available for:
- Individual pieces of equipment (electrolysers, fuel cells, hydrogen storage, renewables)
- Hydrogen refuelling stations
- Fuel cell cars, buses, ships, trucks and trains
- Direct connection to renewable sources (wind, solar, wave, tidal, etc)
- Hydrogen energy storage
- Power to gas, power to liquids and the wider power to X
- While most other consultancies can only offer advice, Kris operates within the wider HDL company and thus, we can physically design and machine parts and put together and test whole hydrogen systems.
Please contact us for further information.